In an effort to keep state waterways safe during the upcoming July Fourth holiday weekend and beyond, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Law Enforcement Division will again be conducting courtesy safety inspections at some public boat landings. The July Fourth holiday weekend, July 2-4, is one of the busiest weekends of the year on state waters.
DNR boating safety and enforcement officers will perform a quick, but thorough inspection for items such as required safety equipment and proper boat and motor registration. Those who are not in compliance with safety regulations or registration requirements will not be ticketed during the complimentary inspections. Instead, they will be given an opportunity to correct the problem before they launch their boat. DNR officers will also be available to answer questions and give boaters tips on how to stay safe on the water.
To report boating violations such as reckless operation or an intoxicated boat operator, call the DNR toll-free, 24-hour hotline at 1-800-922-5431. For a copy of South Carolina’s boating regulations, to find out about local boating safety courses or to obtain a free float plan form, contact the DNR Boating Safety Office at 1-800-277-4301 or visithttp://www.dnr.sc.gov/education/boated.html.
Courtesy boat inspections July 2, July 3 and July 4 will be held at the following locations:
- Anderson County: Riverfork Forks Boat Ramp-Lake Hartwell; 2pm-4pm
- Beaufort County: Lemon Island Landing (Edgar Glenn) – Chechesse River; 10am-12pm
- Berkeley County: Cypress Gardens Landing (Dunham Creek) – Dunham Creek; 10am-12pm
- Charleston County: Isle of Palms Landing – Morgan Creek; 10am-12pm
- Charleston County: Wappoo Cut Landing – ICW south of Charleston Harbor; 10am-12pm
- Clarendon County: Alex Harvin Landing – Lake Marion; 10am-12pm
- Darlington County: Easterling Landing – Lake Robinson; 11am-1pm
- Dorchester County: Herbert H. Jessen Landing – Ashley River; 10am-12pm
- Georgetown County: Carroll A. Campbell Landing – Sampit River; 10am-12pm
- Horry County: Johnny Causey Landing – ICW at Little River; 10am-12pm
- Kershaw County: Clearwater Cove Landing – Lake Wateree; 10am-12pm
- Lexington County: Lake Murray Dam – Lake Murray; 10am-12pm
- McCormick County: Dorn Landing-Lake Thurmond; 10am-12pm
- Newberry County: Billy Dreher Island – Lake Murray; 10am-12pm
- Oconee County: South Cove Park-Lake Keowee; 10am-12pm
- Pickens County: Twelve Mile Park-Lake Hartwell; 10am-12pm
- York County: Ebenezer Park Landing – Lake Wylie; 10am-12pm